Okay you technophiles... sell me on it!
Snazzy new Nintendo DS Lite
Reasons I'm Considering This:
- My brain feels sluggish. This might help.
- Gotta stay current with the kids at school!
- pastilla seems to believe there's some validity to the "brain exercise" aspect of certain DS games. And she's pretty smart.
- The new crimson/onyx version looks cool!
- (So does the Coral Pink version; just imagine what that one'd be like with a Hello Kitty sticker pasted on the front -- **squee! kawaii!**)
- Would justify purchasing Kira Kira Music Hour game with limited edition Pinky:st figure.
- Could avoid embarrassment by honing my non-existent video gaming skills in the privacy of my own home.
- Something to do on those long plane flights (like, once a year).
- I can pretty much pay for it with the deposit I'm gonna get back when I cancel my smart car reservatiion.
- (Note to self: cancel smart car reservation.)
Reasons This Is a Silly Idea:
- I have, in general, virtually no interest in video games.
- I'm bad at them.
- I end up feeling frustrated and stupid whenever I try to play them.
- They irk me.
- Video games seem like a pointless waste of time... much like television.
- Each game costs additional money -- twenty bucks a pop or more.
- The screens are tiny: could I even see them?
- (Note to self: make eye doctor appointment.)
- Aren't there better ways to "get smarter?"
- Read more books.
- Learn to use the computer software I already have.
- Wacom Tablet
- Draw stuff.
- Write stuff.
- I'll have more to say about this in a separate post.
- Take more photos .
- Actually, like, learn to do the web design stuff I keep saying I want to learn.
- Study a foreign language.
- German, 'cuz I had a year or two in Hi Skool so it might come back to me.
- French, 'cuz, y'know....
- Tagalog, 'cuz a lot of kids here speak it, as well as a number of my internet contacts.
- Do Sudoku puzzles.
- I hate those stupid things too...
- Not to mention the stuff I
- Have you seen the posture of those kids while they're playing DS?
- Four brightness-level settings: can you play the DS on the beach in the bright sun?
- I spend too much time sitting on my butt in front of the computer already.
- Does the DS even have games where you blow other players' heads off?
- Maybe a full-size game system would be a better investment. At least I could see the screen.
- No DDR
Unknowns -- Questions Remaining Unanswered after Fifteen Minutes of Google Searching:
- Could I PictoChat with Kurii & Pastilla & Winter over the internet?
- We're talking "technically" here, not whether they'd actually, you know, participate.
- Can you plug regular stereo headphones into the headphone jack?
- Can you use it kind of like an Mp3 player, like when you're jogging and stuff?
- Would playing "Brain Age" really help me feel more mentally agile, to a greater extent than other options listed above?
- Or would I end up hurling the d@mn thing against the wall?
It appears the list of "cons" is considerably more substantial that the list of "pros." This is generally the case whenever I sit down to make a pro-and-con list; I only do this when I'm trying to rationalize something that I have no point doing or buying or whatevering. Sometimes I use this method as a way to work through those things that I'm pretty sure are just passing fancies or momentary whims.
Just to finish this stupid idea off: to remind myself just how much I suck at video games, how much I hate video games, and how stupid video games leave me feeling, I went to this lovely SIMON emulator, where on my first try I achieved the phenomenal score of EIGHT POINTS!
I think that pretty much buries this discussion.